TTT: Those Books I WILL Get To This Summer

Tuesday, June 18, 2013


Last week I shared with you my Top Ten Beach Reads. This week we're looking ahead towards the Top Ten Books at the Top of My Summer TBR. This is a much more daunting task than last week's. Thanks for that, The Broke and the Bookish

Let's be real here for a moment, okay? My TBR List is way, way, way too long these days. Seriously - check it out. And that's not even a complete list! That's a list of books I own that I have not read. And it's only a list compiled from the books I can actually get my hands on at the moment. I have a few a bunch way too many boxes in the basement filled with books from my move when I left NC to go to Budapest. I'm sure there are a ton in there that have yet to be read. Moving to a new place (eventually, hopefully) will be like Christmas when I realize all the "new" books I'll have to gush over. 

So, what I am offering you here are the top ten books I'd like to complete by the end of the summer. Which is cool, because last year at camp I read ten books, so this list is totally possible to complete! Woohoo!

1. The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien - I just read The Hobbit for the first time last Christmas and loved the book. I know people say LotR is harder to get into and at places a little boring, but I'm excited to finally get my feet wet in the series. Also, this is one of my books towards the TBR Pile Challenge I'm participating in! 

2. The Pilliars of the Earth (The Pillars of the Earth #1) by Ken Follett - This book is also on the list of my TBR Pile Challenge. I honestly feel like a lousy Medieval Historian every time I realize I haven't read this book yet. It's totally going to be a daunting read, but I'm excited to get swept up in that world.

3. A Game of Thrones (Song of Fire and Ice #1) by George R. Martin - Another of my TBR Pile Challenge books. You see, I've said I will not watch Game of Thrones on TV till I've read this book. And everyone I know who has read it adored it. So, what the heck is keeping me from reading it? I have no real answer to that question. Suck it up, Courtney!

4. Blood of the Fold (Sword of Truth #3) by Terry Goodkind - Also on the TBR Pile Challenge list. I loved Wizard's First Rule and mostly enjoyed Stone of Tears. They get a bit wordy for me and I find that I love some characters more than others - or at least I love some character's adventures more than others. Some have also told me that the series starts going downhill after the second book, but many have also told me it only picks up steam. I do love Goodkind's writing, so I hope to have this one done soon!

5. Lord of the Flies by William Golding - The last one on this list that also goes for my TBR Pile Challenge. This book was bought because I am/was on a classics kick. You know, reading the books you feel like you should have had to read at some point in your life but never had to? That's how I feel about this one - why have I not read it yet? I ask myself that same question all the time. Time to read it!

6. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe - A good bit of adventure that also falls into my Back to the Classics challenge. What's summer without an adventure? I hope to get sucked easily into this one! 

7. Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth - A long time ago I commented on some of my book reading neuroses. One of them was that I have the hardest time reading a) the last book in a series and b) the last book published so far in a series. I just don't like the idea that a story/world/character is over for me. With Insurgent I've been putting off reading it because I just want the next book out and I don't want my ability to be immersed in that world over for now.  

8. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - Everyone's favorite book these days. Gotta read it, don't know why I haven't yet. 

9. Bitterblue (Graceling Realm #3) by Kirstin Cashore - See Insurgent for the reason why I haven't read this final book in the Graceling Realm series. But I will do it this summer. I have to.

10. The Wiseman's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicle #2) by Patrick Rothfuss - Also, again, see my reasons for not having read Insurgent for the reason why I have been putting off this book for so long. Rothfuss is a brilliant man and an amazing story teller. He just makes you wait seven years for each book. 


What about you guys? What books are on your must read list this summer? Have they been on your TBR list for a long time? Or are they ones about to come out that you just cant wait to get your hands on? 

5 comments:

  1. I just read Divergent, and I wish I had waited until the third book came out so I could read them all at once. So I didn't put Insurgent on my list bc I don't want to read it too early! And I agree-- I couldn't watch Game of Thrones without reading the books first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oww The Wise Man's Fear was such a great read. Hope you will manage to read all of these books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to read Inferno by Dan Brown and work my way down my TBR pile, which has gotten way too long by now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome choices! All these are on my TBR list! Have a great Summer of reading!
    Here is my post from Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops, almost all. The Fault in Our Stars is one I have never heard of.And some of these books, technically its predecessor is what is officially on the list.

      Delete

Thank you all so much for your comments! I'm only happy when I have comments. Really. You are contributing to my future happiness right now! XOXO