An Autumn HodgePodge

Wednesday, September 11, 2013


It's been a while since I've linked up
(okay, okay, it's been a while since I've posted anything with any regularity)
but, it seemed like it was time to get back to the HodgePodge!

1. What's the best part about growing older?

Being real, honest friends with my parents.
Yes, they'll always be my mom and dad,
and I'll always go to them for advice and support,
and I'll always have that healthy dose of fear for them,
but growing up means that you can connect with your parents
on a new, different, and interesting level,
and I, for one, really love that.

2. When did you first feel like a grown up?

I'm not sure I've felt like a grown-up yet ;)

There are moments:
best friends having babies, 
friends getting married,
moving (and surviving) half way around the world,
worrying about your parents,
worrying about the future.

But, I'm still fighting off adult-hood the best I can.

3. How do you take your cake?

It wasn't one of the given options,
but white cake with white frosting,
thank you very much.

4. What's the nicest thing a stranger has ever done for you?

When I was in college I got a call from my parents
letting me know that my paternal grandmother was very ill
and it didn't seem like she was going to be around much longer.

It was the beginning of a really cold, really snowy winter,
but I quickly booked flights home without a thought about
anything other than being home with my family.

I flew from Raleigh to DC and was anxious about both
catching my connecting flight and about the snowstorm 
that was beating down on the North East.

My flight got delayed.
Then moved between a few gates.
Then delayed again.

I was exhausted - emotionally and physically -
and anxious about getting home in time to be able to say goodbye.

And then three different strangers did two amazing things for me:

I didn't have any cash on me and was starving 
after having already been in the airport for near 4 hours.
I got in line at a Ben & Jerry's for a smoothie only to find that
the storm had knocked out their ability to pay with a card.
The woman behind me bough me the smoothie I wanted
and tracked me down at my gate and gave it to me.
I don't remember what she said, but it was the sweetest
and nicest gesture I could have come across at the time.

Then two older gentlemen who had been bounced between gates with me
offered me their cell phone(s) on multiple occasions to call my parents 
and let them know the updates on our flight
(because I didn't think about having packed my charger in my checked bag).
And they also found me a blanket, told me to take a nap,
and volunteered to wake me up when we either
a) finally boarded our plane or
b) got relocated yet again to a new gate.

For a miserable 10+ hours spent in an airport,
under incredibly miserable circumstances,
I was blessed to be presented with a picture of people
that continues to remind me that humanity isn't as bad
as a lot of our media paints it out to be.

5. What's something you learned from your grandparents?

A little bit of hard work and dedication can go a long way.

6. What's something you can do to bring a little peace to your corner of the world?

With the anniversary of 9/11 today,
and the discussions about Syria ever-present,
peace may seem a little hard to come by.

But we can all do our part to spread it around.

Simple acts of peace and kindness can (and do) go a long way.

Say thank you. 
Hold the door open for someone.
Tell someone you love them.
Be generous with hugs.
Smile at someone instead of looking down at the sidewalk.


7. Share something about peace?

Peace is always beautiful. 

[Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass]

8. Random Thought

I'm in the process of trying to find something to do between December and March.
This is going to be interesting, and challenging.
Sigh. 
Who knows where this will take me. 




3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I loved when my children became adults and we could communicate on a different level. The kindness of strangers can be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy my adult kids so much. That was a great story about the kindnesses shown! It's nice to see you back in the HP today : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story about strangers showing you kindness that day. Isn't it funny how it is in our lowest moments that people always manage to reach out to us? It's almost as if they have been sent by someone else.....!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you all so much for your comments! I'm only happy when I have comments. Really. You are contributing to my future happiness right now! XOXO