End of Year Book Survey 2013

Saturday, January 18, 2014

I loved filling out this End of the Year Book Survey by The Perpetual Page Turner last year. It was a fun way to review, recap, and look over all the books I had read over the last year. And, as an added bonus, it even got my little blog noticed by an author I really loved. That's always a plus. So, when I saw she was doing it again I knew I had to fill it out for this year. It takes a year and a day to even fill it out, so bear with me as you read it (or, skim through it, whatever your case may be).



BEST IN BOOKS 2013

1. Best Book You Read In 2013?

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee & Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Because, really, it's not fair to pit anything against TKAM, right?

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn't?

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

It's not that it was bad, because it wasn't. I just had some really high hopes for the story (I mean, the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the start of WWI re-imagined in a steam-punk fashion?) but at a lot of points it just dragged on with descriptions of the machinery. I will probably read more of the series eventually because I am interested in seeing where the story goes, but I'm not in any hurry.

3. Most Surprising (In A Good Way!) Book Of 2013?

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

If you read this book you know what I mean. I'm not sure 'in a good way' is the most applicable to this one, but man was I constantly surprised while reading this one. a

4. Book You Read In 2013 That You Recommended Most In 2013?

Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close

Because? This book pretty much summarizes and parallels the life of a 20something female. It's brilliant and everyone needs to read it while they're in their 20-30s. Trust me on this one.

5. Best Series You Discovered In 2013?

Divergent by Veronica Roth

I'm still not sure I want to see the movie (what do you mean there's no Uriah in the film!?!), but man was this an intense and interesting series.

6. Favorite New Author You Discovered In 2013?

John Green. Hands down. I'm not sure it really counts as "discovering" him in 2013, as you have to have lived under a rock to not have heard of him before. But, I read my first book by him last year and am now slowly making my way through his works.

7. Best Book That Was Out Of Your Comfort Zone Or Was A New Genre For You?

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

If you look at my list of read books in 2013 this one is totally the odd man out. By far. But it was fun and interesting to read and I'm interested in reading more Vonnegut this coming year.

8. Most Thrilling, Unputdownable Book Of 2013?

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Oh. My. God. You guys, if you haven't read this book yet you need you. To will devour it and you will be surprised every 5 pages at least. I promise.

9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Reread in 2014?

Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy #2) by Deborah Harkness

I cannot, cannot wait for the third book in this trilogy to come out later this year. I love everything about this series and this book in particular. I want to be Diana Bishop - heck, I practically am Diana Bishop. Historian? Traveller? Intellectual? Hopelessly in love with Matthew Clairmont? Check! And then you add in time travel back to the Middle Ages with this installment of the series? There is nothing I don't love about this story. And I will probably reread it before the third book comes out.

10. Favorite Cover Of A Book You Read In 2013?



There is just something so simple about this cover before you read it, something that makes it so easy to overlook. And then once you've closed the final page it becomes so much more. It sums up the whole story so perfectly. I love when your opinion of a cover changes through the reading of the story.

11. Most Memorable Character In 2013?

Celaena from Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Another character I want to be someday. She, simply put, kicks ass. In so many ways. This book might have been my "most recommended book of 2013" if I had read it earlier in the year.

12. Most Beautifully Written Book Read In 2013?

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

There really is no competition when this book is in the mix. There is just something so profoundly beautiful about the writing of this story. I loved every line of the story.

13. Book That Had The Greatest Impact On You In 2013?

Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close

Because, really? This book is my life.

14. Book You Can't Believe You Waited UNTIL 2013 To Read?

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

This one goes without saying. I know.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote Of A Book You Read In 2013?

"Stop trying to be perfect. Try being real for a change." - Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

What a perfect, simple reminder for us all.

16. Shortest & Longest Books Of 2013?

Shortest: Satori in Paris by Jack Kerouac (109pp)
Longest: The House of Hades (Heros of Olympus #4) by Rick Riordan (597pp)

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To talk To Someone About It? 

Allegiant by Veronica Roth. THE END. HOW I NEED TO TALK ABOUT THAT WITH ANYONE! TALK TO ME ABOUT THIS ONE!

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013?

Eleanor and Park in Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

I loved that:
a) there was no love triangle (I am so sick of love triangles in YA novels)
b) that it was honest and awkward and gritty (just like High School actually is)
and
c) that neither of them were perfect (as society expects our characters to be), but they found perfection in each other.

19. Favorite Book From An Author You Read In 2013 That You've Read Previously?

The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

It's no secret that I love Jasper Fforde. And this foray into YA? It's just perfection - his humor and wit are ever present, but he weaves a tale suited for a different audience than his previous works. And he does it masterfully.

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else?

Looking For Alaska by John Green

I still can't believe I ignored the recommendation for John Green for so long. Thanks Katie for finally making me read this book!

21. Genre You Read The Most From In 2013?

This pretty much goes without saying, but, Young Adult. And I'm not ashamed.

22. Newest Fictional Crush From A Book You Read In 2013?

Chaol from Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

I adore him. He's perfect without being perfect.

23. Best 2013 Debut You Read?

Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo

I need to get into gear and read #2 soon before story #1 melts into a fog in my brain.

24. Most Vivid World/Imagery You Read In 2013?

Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy #2) by Deborah Harkness

There is just something about Harkness's writing that builds the most vivid images in my mind. I felt like I was right there with Diana in Victorithroughout the story.

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read In 2013?


Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy #2) by Deborah Harkness

It goes without saying on this blog that I love the All Souls Trilogy. I had to make myself slow down and enjoy every moment within this book because it was just so perfect. And so much fun to immerse myself in the world Harkness has created. This is one of those books I really wish I could read for the first time again. 

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry In 2013?

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Seriously, you guys. Do I even need to explain this one?

27. Book You Read In 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close

In case my argument hasn't been made clear yet: Go! Read this book!

BOOK BLOGGING/READING LIFE IN 2013

1. New Favorite Book Blog Discovered In 2013?

I really got into reading the reviews over at Book Rock Betty this year. Not commenting, mind you, because I was too busy to even write on my own blog. Ha.

2. Favorite Review That You Wrote In 2013?

Probably the one for The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

3. Best Discussion On Your Blog In 2013?

There hasn't been much discussion round these parts lately (I'm really the one to fault here for that since my online time has really gone by the wayside), so let's just look positively towards great discussions in 2014.

4. Most Thought-Provoking Review Or Discussion On Someone Else's Blog In 2013?

Along with a lack in discussion round these parts, I have also not been the greatest blogger in terms of looking/reading/participating in other blogs. Again, 2014? Hit it.

5. Best Event You Participated In In 2013?

Probably my Goodreads challenge. It may seem silly and simple, but I really pushed myself to read a lot this year and am proud of myself for finishing my goal of 50 books despite an awful summer of reading.

6. Best Moment Of Book Blogging/Book Life In 2013?

Finishing book #50 on New Years Eve. It was so perfect to have finished my challenge at that moment. A little bit of nerves, but so perfect for the year I'd had.

7. Most Popular Post On Your Blog In 2013?

A lot of the Top Ten Tuesday posts got a lot of love, but This One for Top Ten Books Set Somewhere Other Than Here did a little better than the rest, popularity-wise. It was a fun one to write, that's for sure.

8. Post You Wish Got A Little More Love?

My review for Kings of Colorado which has to be one of the most moving books I've read in recent memory. It's just such a brilliant and understated book. Go read this one, okay? (The book, if you want to read the review, that's okay too. But you should really read the book) Note: I read this book in 2012, but the review went up in 2013.

9. Best Bookish Discovery?

The 'scan' feature on my Goodreads app! Seriously! That thing makes putting books I see at the bookstore or library and want but don't want to buy/borrow at that moment into a shelf for "get to these sometime, okay?" so much easier. I love it.

10. Did You Complete Any Challenges and/or Reach Your Goals?

I participated in four challneges, but only completed my Goodreads challenge. And? I'm okay with that.

LOOKING AHEAD 

1. One Book You Didn't Get To In 2013 But Will Be Top Priority In 2014?

The Casual Vacancy by J.K.Rowling

If I don't get to this book this year my friend Katie might actually kill me. Plus, I think I'm finally ready to read a non-HP JKR novel. Maybe. I hope so, at least.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014? (Non-Debut)

The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy #3) by Deborah Harkness

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

I think this is my same answer from last year, but: I don't know. Can you guys suggest one (or a bunch) to me? Please?

4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating For 2014?

The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy #3) by Deborah Harkness - this one really goes without saying, so I won't.

5. One Thing You Hope To Do/Accomplish In Your Reading In 2014?

Complete all my challenges this year.

I went easy on myself this time (minus the Goodreads goal of 50 books again this year), because I don't want to stress myself out too much. Reading is fun for me, an escape. It's something I love and I want to make sure it stays that way.

But man, I want to complete them this year!




1 comment:

Thank you all so much for your comments! I'm only happy when I have comments. Really. You are contributing to my future happiness right now! XOXO