Getting back in the game.
Or, trying to at least.
It's been a while since I've participated in a Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. But when I read this week's topic, I knew I was back in the blogging mood. Because, really? There are so many characters out there who I adore, but would never in a million years want to trade places with. Granted, this topic also covers worlds you'd never want to live in - and I think my list covers both of these aspects perfectly. Thank you, no thank you.
1. Katniss from The Hunger Games - Because, really? Who would want to be sent into those arenas? And then to have the whole fate of your world rest on your shoulders? And that dystopian future, even if I wasn't Katniss? No. Thank. You.
2. Tris from Divergent - Because, as bad-ass as Tris is, she still lives a pretty crappy life. Even when you add Tobias into the mix. Forced to give up her family for the life she wants - while staying in the same town? I would not want to be her. Plus a whole number of other reasons I cannot put here for fear of spoilers.
3. Finn from Incarceron - Because, that prison scares me. And he's got a lot of things facing him in his future that I would not be able to comprehend.
4. Cassia from Matched - This whole world is a dystopian mess. Your partner is selected for you and you really have no choice in anything that happens to you. Society knows better. Would not want to live here. And I would also not want to have to make the choices that Cassia ultimately makes.
5. Anita Blake from The Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series - Because her life scares me! Seriously, she's fun to read about, but I would never, ever want to walk in her shoes. Plus, that world scares me - those vampires, werewolves, etc? They're SCARY.
6. Gaia from Birthmarked - Gaia is sweet and idealistic and I love her. But I would not want to be in her position. To take away other people's babies and advance them to the enclave? Nope, no thank you. And this dystopian future? I don't like this one either, thanks.
7. Eddie from Shades of Grey - I like seeing every color, actually. And this alternative dystopian life? Eddie has his work cut out for him, that's for sure.
8. Sunshine from Sunshine - Ah! McKinley's vampires are scary. And while I think Sunshine is a fantastic character, I would not ever want to be in her place. Constantine is fascinating, but he can stay on paper, thankyouverymuch.
9. Sookie from Dead After Dark - Nope, thanks. She can remain on paper too. I love reading about her, as ditzy and annoying as she can be. I would not ever want to trade places and live in her version of this world. We already have too many politics going on, adding in vampires would just be a mess.
10. Clare from The Time Traveller's Wife - Because, who wants that sort of relationship? Yes, she loves her husband, dearly. And there are a lot of things people will withstand for love. But this? This takes the cake. And I cannot even fathom what it would be like to live a day in her place.
Basically, it seems as though I do not want to live in some sort of dystopian future with an awful, controlling, and cruel government. Check. Let's keep this world as it is, okay?
What about you guys? Who would you definitely not want to change places with? Why?