Fire Door [Ani Difranco]

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Remember when I said I was going stir crazy?


I wasn't lying to you.


I'm an active chick! I need to be doing things to keep myself happy! I need things other than school to keep me sane!


Well, it's grown into a full on case of Cabin Fever. No, really! This is exactly how I feel:



(Ps, I'm super bummed the Grammy's took away my Lady GAGA video from my last post. I'm a sad little monster!)


I know it's partly my own fault. I could have tried to go fencing this week, and really all my excuses just make me look like a lazy, lazy girl who doesn't really want to go fencing. But I do! See, this is why I'm dragging my heels: you've read in previous posts about my 45 minute travel time to get from dorm to Synagogue. You've also read about the close-to-two-feet of snow we got here in Budapest. And what I may not have been explicit about is the manner in which Budapest "shovels the sidewalks."


My mom would be so disappointed in the shovelers here, and would probably give them a lesson (which would probably be the same lesson I've been getting since I was old enough to wield a shovel in the harsh New Hampshire winters) on the proper method of snow removal. I may have whined about it when it was me with the shovel and it was a service forced upon requested of me. You see, shoveling in our world means shoveling down to the ground so that the sun can melt and dry the surface(be it driveway tar, back-deck wood, or sidewalk cement). It also means putting the snow in a place where it will not return or melt to the place you took it from (usually just off to the side of the driveway). This seems just common sense to me - do the work once and you don't have to go back and do it right again later (this is my mantra for a lot of things in life. I wish I could say all, but no one is that perfect.)


Not these Madyars. They manage to "shovel" enough snow to make a slippery sheet of packed snow that requires the balance and poise of a prima ballerina to navigate. Then they throw sand down on top of it making it into that gross brown sludge that clings to the hems of my jeans and cakes into the soles of my Uggs (which in turn makes the slippery patches of sidewalk slipperier!).


So you may be asking yourselves, what on earth does this have to do with your lazy butt not going fencing Courtney?


Well, to get to the Synagogue I have approximately 5 city blocks of walking to do. Now, though most of you have never seen a fencing bag, I'm sure you can imagine that it's pretty big and can get pretty darn heavy. Mine, fortunately has wheels. Wheels do not go well with snowy, un-shoveled sidewalks. And as my bag is really really heavy, that equates to 5+ city blocks of carrying it over my shoulder.


And that, ladies and gentlemen, is reason enough for me to drag my feet and wait (im)patiently for someone to email me back (I found an email address online supposedly for the club and sent them a little note to figure out just what the frick is going on!). Though, if I hear nothing I'll make the journey on Monday. I can't live like this anymore! (Oh, and probably going to try out the aerials place tomorrow! If my MA or Med School doesn't work out, at least I can join the circus!)


However, that doesn't ease my aforementioned Cabin Fever. So tomorrow I am going to check out the Boticelli to Titian exhibit at the Budapest Fine Arts Museum. Then I'm going to help make cards for the Student Union's Candy-Grams campaign this coming week. Maybe go Ice Skating after aerials (if I find the place!). Gotta do things!


So, what's the moral of today's story people?


Mother Knows Best (at least about shoveling! Love you Mom!)


And just for fun, I found this on my procrastination adventures (instead of translating Latin).

-------

If I were a month, I’d be July. (warm, happy, and bright)

If I were a day of the week, I’d be Saturday. (lazy but full of promise)

If I were a time of day, I’d be 11 pm. (the witching hour)

If I were a planet, I’d be Mars. (cause of lots of conversation)

If I were a sea animal, I’d be an otter. (playful and full of spunk)

If I were a direction, I’d be North. (true)

If I were a piece of furniture, I’d be a bookshelf (full of stories)

If I were a liquid, I’d be sea water (everything goes back to the sea)

If I were a gemstone, I’d be a diamond (every one is unique)

If I were a tree, I’d be a palm tree (a free spirit)

If I were a tool, I’d be a chisel (capable of creating beauty & destruction)

If I were a flower, I’d be a bird of paradise (quirky yet beautiful)

If I were a kind of weather, I’d be a sunny day with a carolina blue sky (feels like home)

If I were a musical instrument, I’d be a piano. (classy)

If I were a color, I’d be carolina blue (true blue, through and through)

If I were an emotion, I’d be love. (of all natures)

If I were a fruit, I’d be a strawberry. (sweet, but with a kick)

If I were a sound, I’d be laughter. (happiness for all)

If I were an element, I’d be Neon (she's always buzzing just like...)

If I were a car, I’d be an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish (sexy)

If I were a food, I’d be Italian (mama mia!))

If I were a place, I’d be Rome (full of wonder, beauty, and secrets)

If I were a material, I’d be platinum (expensive taste)

If I were a taste, I’d be peanut butter (just like home)

If I were a scent, I’d be DKNY Be Delicious (signature scent)

If I were an object, I’d be pointe shoes (an instrument of beauty)

If I were a body part, I’d be the hands. (creation and compassion)

If I were a facial expression, I’d be a smile. (who wouldn't?)

If I were a song, I’d be Carolina In My Mind [James Taylor] (please forgive me if I'm up and gone)

If I were a pair of shoes, A pair of Jimmy Cho Red Peep Toe Pumps (always sexy, yet always classy)


[ courtesy of
scattered starlight ]

1 comment:

  1. We're suffering Cabin Fever over here, too. With 30+ inches of snow, don't think we'll be getting out any time soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you all so much for your comments! I'm only happy when I have comments. Really. You are contributing to my future happiness right now! XOXO