A Runner's Nightmare

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I think I gave myself undue props with the title of this post. You see, I'm not entirely sold on the idea that I, Courtney, am a runner.

I go back and forth in my mind about that question: Am I a Runner? 



In my head a runner is someone who does 5K's in their sleep and spends their weeks training to make a better time on their next marathon (that, by the way is in Istanbul or somewhere else glamorous, because in my head being a Runner is a glamorous thing). They know the ins and the outs of the running shoe world and read Runners World with their morning coffee.

And then there's me. I'm plugging my way, sloooowwwly, through the Couch 2 5K program. I impress myself when I move up a little bit and don't feel like death when I have to run 15 seconds longer than the day before. And it's pretty much all on a treadmill, because running on the roads in winter scares me. I get bored easily when I run. I sing to myself or talk to myself. Or I watch a TV program because that is a clear way to kill 30 minutes and not focus on my running.



I guess I see myself as a runner. One with a little 'r' instead of the Runner with the big 'R' attached. 

But that all really isn't the reason for this post. 

The real reason? My shin splints are back. 



I suffered from them an itsy bit in college, but they never pained me enough to have to really deal with them. I'd fence on them, give my legs a day or two off, and then be fine to fence again.

But these days? Holy hell! 

My shins ache and it's been over 5 days since I last ran. I went to see the doctor, got some anti-inflammatory pills. And they still hurt. So now I have to call to get some sort of gel to rub all over my shins and hope that helps. My yoga instructor is also helping me with some stretches and assorted yoga stuff to take away some of the pain, so that's nice. And the instructor at the gym I love has reminded me that stretching and heat and ice will help a whole lot. And so will time. And this stubborn, former Div-I athlete may have to actually listen instead of trying to play tough and power through.

Because this pain? This pain sucks. 

So, this little runner, who dreams of someday maybe making the big leagues and being a Runner, is taking a small hiatus from running.  It's the bike, maybe the elliptical, some weights, and yoga for me for now I guess.

How about you guys? Athletic related injuries ever get you down? Do tell! And suggestions on how to make my shins not feel like glass broke inside them are always welcome!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you all so much for your comments! I'm only happy when I have comments. Really. You are contributing to my future happiness right now! XOXO