Top Ten Tuesday {Series I Haven't Started Yet}

Tuesday, March 5, 2013


Here I am, linking up again for the Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke And The Bookish. Because I love books and I love lists. So this linkup? It makes perfect sense to me. Oh? You want to join in too? Go here to find future topics and an explanation of the link-up. 

This week's topic? Top ten series that you haven't started yet (and want to). 

This is a hard one, because I don't go out looking to read a new series. But I love series because they mean that I get to hold onto a world a little longer than I could with a stand-alone novel. But series also mean cliffhangers. And we all know how traumatizing those can be!

So, yes. This is a hard one for me. But, here's my list:

1. His Dark Materials - Phillip Pullman 
Technically I think I'm cheating with this one. But it's my list, so I don't care. I read The Golden Compass a few years ago and was really in love. Then I realized the American versions take out a whole lot of material from the books. And that annoyed me. So, then I picked up The Amber Spyglass and promptly put it back down and never got back to the series. And I would love to finish it soon. But, I need to get my hands on the British versions, I think.


2. The Grisha Trilogy - Leigh Bardugo
Good thing I already own the first book in this series! Thanks, Dad, for an awesome Christmas present. I really knew so little about it when I asked for it, but the more praise I hear the more I realize I need to start this book soon.

3. The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams
I have never really heard a bad word about this book, ever. My only trepidation about going into it is that I have heard so much praise. Sometimes that sets you up so much that nothing can ever really meet your expectations of what you thought. Still, I want to read these. They seem so right up my ally. 

4. The Wolves of Mercy Falls - Maggie Stiefvater
I loved The Scorpio Games and would love to read more from Stiefvater. I've heard mixed reviews about this series, but I haven't read any YA ware-wolf in a long time (if ever?). So, I'm intrigued. 

5. The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R Tolkien
I finally read The Hobbit this past December. And loved it. I know that The Lord of the Rings is a lot more dense of a story and that it's harder to get into. But, as an avid fantasy reader, I feel like I owe it to myself to give these books a chance.


6. The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel - Michael Scott
I own the first in this series too! I've heard so many great things about it that I just need to sit down, pick it up, and read it. How hard is that?

7. A Song of Fire and Ice - George R. R. Martin
Own #1 in this too! Seriously. I have heard nothing but praise for this series (and this TV show!). How hard is it to read these books, Courtney?!

8. The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
As a person with a MA in Medieval History, and someone who owns the first book in this series too, I can't believe I haven't read this series yet. I really, clearly need to get with the program.

9. The Lunar Chronicles - Marissa Meyer
I've been eyeing these books for a while now. Or, at least, Cinder. It sounds insanely good. 

10. Discworld - Terry Practchett
Who doesn't love Terry Practhett? I've never heard anyone say anything bad about these books. And they're funny too. And I'm always in search of a good laugh. Especially when it comes from a fantasy book! 


6 comments:

  1. I personally loved the Shiver series but I know it's not for everyone. If you like slower-paced books you'll like it. But if you're looking for constant action it's probably not the best book for you.

    Game of Thrones isn't difficult to read but there's a lot of characters to remember. It gets easier to read once you pick out your favorite characters since the chapters are divided that way.

    Our TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you must, must, must read Shadow and Bone. One of the best books I've ever read! And I haven't read Scarlet yet but Cinder was very good so you should enjoy the Lunar Chronicles alot!

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Wolves of Mercy Falls (Shiver) series. Honestly though the first book was sort of slow to me and I only started reading them because my BFF, who has a huge werewolf obsession, was begging me to read them and instead of buying just the first book to see I got the whole series. Maybe I wasn't in the mood to read them at fist but Shiver just didn't wow me much. But then I read Linger...and then Forever and I devoured those two. In the end I can say I highly recommend them. And if Shiver doesn't wow you then just give Linger a chance! It may change your mind :)

    The rest of your list is great. LotR (AWESOME!) and I haven't read Hitchhikers Guide yet but I saw the movie before I had heard of the books and it's one of my all time faves now. I just need to get motivated and get the books! :)

    Happy reading!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the Grisha trilogy, but man oh man, GET ON THE LUNAR CHRONICLES BANDWAGON! Ah, so amazing. You won't regret it :) Great list!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some great choices here! The Pillars of the Earth, Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire, and His Dark Materials (to some degree) are all more intellectual books and definitely take longer to read, but they're all worth it and definitely recommended. What do you mean by American vs British versions of His Dark Materials? I've read the trilogy but didn't realize there were different versions (though of course if I need to reread I will not complain :)).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you like Martin! He's an amazing writer and it may take you a few tries to get past book 1, it's worth the struggle. As a medievalist myself, I LOVED Pillars of the Earth so I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you all so much for your comments! I'm only happy when I have comments. Really. You are contributing to my future happiness right now! XOXO