2013 Reads: Twenty-Eight {Clockwork Princess - Cassandra Clare}

Friday, August 23, 2013


Oh. My. God.

I'm not sure there are enough of the right words to do this book justice.

But I'm going to try.

WHAT WAS WRITTEN

Mortiman is ready to unleash his Infernal Devices, an army of soulless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. The only thing he needs to complete his plan is Tessa Gray. And the Shadowhunters of the London Institute are not about to let that happen.

Charlotte Branwell, as the head of the London Institute,  is desperate to find and bring down Mortiman before he can strike.  However, she meets a lot of resistance from Consul Wayland who is starting to doubt his decision to place a woman as the head of the Institute.

But when Tessa is abducted from the steps of the institute Will and Jem realize they will stop at nothing to save her. Even though Jem and Tessa are now engages, Will still loves her. And together, along with the rest of the Institute, discover where and how to save both Tessa and the Shadowhunters from Mortiman's plans. 

WHAT MY BRAIN HAS TO SAY ON THE MATTER

And that's how you end a series.

Thank you Cassandra Clare.

I just adore how she handled the Will-Tessa-Jem love triangle. Because I adored all three of them - Will for his humor and passion, Jem for his outlook on life, and Tessa for her unwavering selflessness. Clare did it with such grace that it makes me wonder how no other author has been able to handle it similarly. No one got shut out. Friendships weren't broken or unrealistically preserved. It was just...perfect.

I love these characters. I absolutely loved every singe one of them. They made me laugh, and cry, and have hope for their future. I really think this series has some of the best secondary characters out there. I mean, sure it's about Tessa and Will and Jem. But Charlotte and Henry are brilliant. I love their relationship and their commitment to the Shadowhunters under their watch. I also really love Mangus in this series - it's so amazing to take a peak into who he was before The Mortal Instruments. Cassandra Clare really knows how to write an amazing character.

I've had a lot of friends tell me that they just weren't bought into this series after Clockwork Angel. It was too close to the Mortal Instruments series and, well, it just left too much to be desired. And I'll grant them that, a little. Was Clockwork Angel  the best first book in a series I've ever come across? No. Was it a lot like TMI? Sure. But I went into this series expecting some sort of history lesson (remember: I'm a history girl) on the Shadowhunters and the ancestors of the TMI characters I've come to love so much. So, I was set to enjoy this series either way. Plus I have a really hard time giving up on a series.

I talked some of them back into the series with promises of Clockwork Prince being a lot better than its predecessor. And it was. But what I didn't realize at the time was how perfectly these two books set up Clockwork Princess and how much I would come to love this series as a whole - faults and shortcomings and all.

And now I can sing all the promises of how worth it it is to get through the first two books just to be able to sink into Clockwork Princess. Because? I love this book. I more than love this book. I adore it. I want to be able to go back in time and read it again for the first time. And I never wanted it to end. 

THE NITTY GRITTY

Title: Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices #3)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Steampunk(ish),  
Medium: Hard Cover, 568pp
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Date Read: 10 August 2013
Source: Purchased @ Barnes & Nobel
Recommended For: Middle School +, YA Lovers, Fantasy Lovers, Steampunk Lovers, Cassandra Clare Fans
Challenges: Goodreads

First Line: "I'm afraid," said the Little girl sitting on the bed.
Favorite Line: "I am not a certified idiot --" "Lack of certification hardly proves intelligence," Will muttered. 
Last Line: And if the Thames that ran beside them, sure and silver in the afternoon light, recalled a night long ago when the moon shone as brightly as a shilling on this same boy and girl, or if the stones of Blackfriars knew the tread of their feet and thought to themselves: At last, the wheel comes full circle, they kept their silence. [whited out, for spoiler's sake]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you all so much for your comments! I'm only happy when I have comments. Really. You are contributing to my future happiness right now! XOXO