2013 Reads: Forty-Three {Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green & David Levithan}

Monday, February 3, 2014

I won't lie, I wasn't particularly enthralled with this book.

I mean, it wasn't awful by any means. But it just hasn't stayed with me the way a lot of books do.

It was more like: story ended and I moved on.

WHAT WAS WRITTEN

On a random night, in an obscure Chicago side street, two teens names Will Grayson meet and their paths will forever be interwoven.

As their worlds come together the two Will Graysons are on their way towards romantic changes, new friendships, and the most epic High School Musical ever produced.

WHAT MY BRAIN HAS TO SAY ON THE MATTER

I'll go out on a limb and say that I feel like this book was so much more about Tiny Cooper and his musical than any other character in this book. He's a major character who takes over any scene he's involved in, but in a loving and almost gentle way. And? I basically love his character. He's naive but not in a way that makes him annoying. But in that wide-eyed, why-can't-the-world-be-perfect sort of way. His glasses are forever rose-colored, and I love him for that. And I love the development that his character goes through - from the first moment you meet him until his revelation of the necessary changes to his musical. His character development is, perhaps, the best thing that Green and Levithan came together on in this book.

I also love how Levithan's Will Grayson portrays an honest and raw depiction of how anxiety and depression can affect a person. It's nice to see a character who's not flawless, not perfect. He's not happy-go-lucky all of the time. His family life isn't perfect. But he is still a character we find endearing and seen as being worthy of love - because this is something that a lot of adolescents face (and fear). And it's nice to know that they can read this character and identify with him and feel a little bit better about their future. Green's Will Grayson didn't impress me much. Nor did his relationship with Jane. I can't help it, he just fell a little flat for me.

There was wit and there was sarcasm. And it was fun at times. But it really wasn't that memorable to me at the end. I can totally see why it would be a book that a lot of people would fall in love with. Maybe it's because I didn't identify with many of the characters? Or maybe it was just not the right book at the right time sort of thing. 

THE NITTY GRITTY

Title: Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Author: John Green and David Levithan
Genre: YA Contemporary Fiction
Medium: Audio Book, 8 Disks
Publisher: Brilliance Audio (1 January 2010)
Date Read: 8 December 2013
Source: Borrowed From Library
Recommended For: High School +, Contemporary YA Lovers
Challenges: Goodreads

First Line: When I was little, my dad used to tell me, "Will, you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose."
Favorite Line: When things break, it's not the actual breaking that prevents them from getting back together again. It's because a little piece gets lost - the two remaining ends couldn't fit together even if they wanted to. The whole shape has changed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you all so much for your comments! I'm only happy when I have comments. Really. You are contributing to my future happiness right now! XOXO