TTT: Get Your Tissues Ready

Tuesday, February 4, 2014


Okay ladies and gents, get your box of tissues ready. This week's topic from The Broke and The Bookish? The Top Ten Books That Will Make You Cry. Oh wow, this is probably going to be a tear fest, prepare yourself. 

1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - Holy heck, this book killed me. It was so hauntingly beautiful that I couldn't help but tear up at the end. I also got in a bit of trouble for recommending this book to a friend without a warning about how depressing it was going to be. Whoops. 

2. The Time Travelers Wife  by Audrey Niffenegger - Oh man. The end of this story? With their child? And that absolute final scene? Wow. I cannot even imagine not tearing up at the end of this book 

3. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson - This book really makes you think. And, while I have not gone through what Melinda went through, I cannot help but have my heart break for her. I can't say why, even with a spoiler alert attached, because you really need to read this book with clean, fresh eyes. 

4. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K.Rowling - *SPOILER ALERT* Of all the characters in this whole series she had to go off an kill Sirius. Seriously? I was dumbfounded. And I had to reread that scene a number of times in order to actually believe what I had read. This death still haunts me. 

5. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K.Rowling - *SPOILER ALERT* And then she had to go and kill off Dumbledore? Are you kidding me JKR? Dumbledore? Ugh, I know it had to happen. But it didn't make it any less sad. 

6. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher - This book was so incredibly powerful. Being told the story of why a girl committed suicide by the girl who committed suicide? Oh. My. God. 

7. The Giver by Lois Lowry - *SPOILER ALERT* The moment when Jonah gets his first real memory? When he starts feeling war and terror and pain? Those moments when he starts to realize what's going on in his community? And when he rescues the baby that his father is required to kill? This book got to me when I was in grade school and it still gets to me every time I reread it. 

8. Marley & Me by John Grogan - You go into this book knowing exactly how it is going to end. As the story of the life of a family's beloved (albeit a little dysfunctional) dog. And yet, I was sobbing on a plane headed back to home from school at the end. Anyone who has ever loved an animal will be brought to tears by this book. 

9. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - John Green is a master at giving you all sorts of feels. It's true. But then he had to go and write a brilliant love story about kids with cancer. And the feels became FEELS and there were so, so many of them to be felt. 

10. Kings of Colorado by Davie E. Hilton - The end of this book killed me. Well, actually, all of this book killed me. This is another one I don't want to talk too much about because I want everyone to read it. It's kinda one of those unsung books that deserve so much more praise. And a movie. And discussion. Just know this: I cried through a lot of this book because it was so darn powerful. 

So, fun and exciting topic this week, no? Yeah, I know. It brought back so many feelings from some of the most powerful and moving books I have ever read. What books would you guys add to this list? 


1 comment:

  1. TFIOS. Always and forever at the top of my tear-jerker list!!! I haven't read The Giver yet, and I only just started The Book Thief (which I'm having a really hard time getting into, even though I KNOW it's gonna be epic), so I'll be sure to stock up on tissues before digging in!

    M @ Backlist Books

    ReplyDelete

Thank you all so much for your comments! I'm only happy when I have comments. Really. You are contributing to my future happiness right now! XOXO