When The Lights Go Out

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Again, I've been remiss in my regular (can I even call it 'regular' anymore, when it's been anything but for the last six+ months?) blogging duties. I honestly think about sitting down to a post every day or so, and then get caught up in the day-to-day of working at an experiential education school for middle schoolers that I take a nap, or go for a run, or just feel too mentally fatigued to want to sit down at a computer for even a moment.

Plus, my iPhone? Has totally taken away my need/desire/compulsion/whatever to be nose into a computer screen. Seriously. Is anyone else like that too? I mean, I curse that little stinking keyboard every day on the iPhone, and miss my big one on the laptop, but I still find 99% of my internet time to be available in my pocket and on the go. Crazy.


So, all that aside, the real reason for this post: stars.

I am so! fortunate! to be able to live and work in a place that has little to almost-no light pollution in the night time. It is quite honestly the most amazing sight. I find myself walking around out campus in the night hours and in complete awe of what is going on above me.

The Milky Way lights a path across the night sky and shooting stars blaze trails that go on forever.

The sky is so black too - I don't know if any of you ever have been to a place with less light in the night, but the black of the sky up here is just so much more black than anywhere else I've seen. It's amazing. Awesome in the most true sense of the word.

I get lost up there. Feet firmly planted on the ground, a crink in my neck the size of Brooklyn, and eyes gazing always upwards.

I think the stars are one of my favorite natural phenomenon that ever existed. Who knows why there there (non-scientifically), or what they're there for. But, does it really matter?

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for the random comment, but when I saw this title I totally thought you were going to talk about the new show Revolution when the lights go out forever. Anywho. It's a good show. You should watch it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pitch black where we live aka the boondocks. I love the night sky!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you all so much for your comments! I'm only happy when I have comments. Really. You are contributing to my future happiness right now! XOXO